Santiago, Chile Temple

Saturday, August 18, 2012

MTC Week 5: Aug. 8, 2012


So... another week has come and gone. Well I guess I will first just start by saying I'm sorry if I ever sound negative or sad or anything in these letters, cause I'm really not. This place is amazing, and this time has been the most amazing and uplifting time in my life, but because it's always amazing it becomes the norm. So because of that, the bad things or my struggles are the only real "new" things in my life, so I tend to talk about them more in my letters. I will be more positive from now on though.  :D

With that being said, my district is awesome. It's really interesting because normally I would never be friends with probably most of them if not all of them, but we have bonded so much that I don't think it would be possible to stop being friends even if I tried. We are able to have a lot of fun together now.

So in each room there are enough beds for 6 people right? But there are only 4 desks and 4 closets. Up to this point we have only had 4 people in our room so it hasn't been a problem... I'm sure you can guess where this is going, ha ha. So we are getting new roomates today. It kinda stinks that we will be crowded in there but I'm not all that bummed out about it. It will be fun to get to know some new people. It will be really funny though because they aren't going to know any Spanish and we are going to be only speaking Spanish. I guess that will help them learn faster, but they are definately going to hate it for at least the first week if not the whole rest of the time we are here.

It is amazing how this place has become my home. I never really thought that I would feel this way here. I guess I always just expected it to be like those first couple of weeks. I think one of the biggest reasons why is because of the amazing people that I am surrounded with. Two of those people are our teachers, Hermano Sheidi and Hermana Breadlove. Hermano Sheidi went to Lone Peak and his dad is actually football coach at Lone Peak. It's kind of a funny coincidence. He is one of the most amazing people I have ever met and probably the best teacher I have ever had. It's weird how close and attached I have become to my teachers and my districts. It is going to be really hard when we leave. But Hermano Sheidi is leaving (not teaching here anymore) next Wednesday. He has taught me so much about missionary work and the gospel. I will always be thankful for what he has taught me. But enough about that.

So on Sunday we went to a video of the talk called, "The Character of Christ". It was a really cool talk and made me really want to study about Christ's life more. I would encourage you to do the same. To really study the life of Christ and think about what you can do to become more like him. During the devotional yesterday I had a really cool experience. There is a painting that the speaker showed, it is called "The Rescue" by Joseph Turner. The speaker applied this painting to missionary work which was perfect. But I think that it can apply to more than that. Before he spoke his wife said a few words and she talked a little bit about the importance of member missionary work. This painting applied to that almost even better. If you see the painting you will notice that it a small boat going to try and rescue a rather large ship. Even if you don't think that you can do much, that you're just one person, what can you possibly do. With the help of the Lord and with the testimony you have you can resue them. After the devotional, one of the elders in my district talked about the parable of the lost sheep in Luke 15 (the speaker also spoke of it as well as the parable of the lost coin and the prodical son). The elder said that we are the sheep (as most people think), but as the shepherd goes to look for that one lost sheep, what do the other sheep do? Do they sit there and do nothing? Do they even realize that there is a lost sheep out there? Do they even go and look for lost sheep? I promise there are many more opportunities out there to help others than you think. Do all you can for the people around you and I know you will be blessed.

Through the strength of the lord we can do all things.

--Elder Michael Knapp

No comments:

Post a Comment