Santiago, Chile Temple

Thursday, July 19, 2012

MTC Week 1


July 18, 2012

So my first week here in the MTC has been amazing.  It truly has oppened my eyes to what missionary work really is.  I always kind of looked at the missionaries as just going around and just convincing other people to get baptized.  I have come to realize in this past week that missionary work is not just about getting people baptized (although that is an important step)  but that it is about inviting the spirit into the lives of other people, and letting the spirit change them.  Missionary work is about bringing others unto Christ.  As I have discovered this I have been able to feel the spirit so much more.  I know that it isn't me that is going to convert people, but its the spirit of the Lord that is going to do it.  Pretty much this whole first week every talk, devotional, workshop, you name it,  every single one has been about faith in Christ.  It has caused me to realize that is a major part of missionary work.  If we can have faith in Christ he will give us what we need to be successful in teaching. 
My companions name is Elder Willoughby.  He is from Alberta, Canada.  He is a little bit socially awkward most of the time but overall he is a good guy, and we get along pretty well. My district is really cool.  At first we didn't really talk to each other much, but as the week has gone by we have all become pretty good friends.  There are 4 girls in our district as well, but they are leaving in 3 weeks to go to the MTC in Guatamala.  So they won't be here much longer.
Learning spanish has been really hard but it is going fast too.  It is really fufilling to to be able to speak so much already.  It is amazing how quickly I have been able to learn spanish with the help of the spirit here. 
Well I have a little bit more to say but I am out of time today so I will write it in a letter and send it.  Love you all, hope you are doing well.
Elder Michael Knapp

No comments:

Post a Comment